In January, I gathered a list of 17 ways to improve January. I had some ideas left over and it was a popular post, so I thought I’d gather a similar list for February. I present to you, 17 things for a lovely February. From snowdrops to adventure films. Window Wanderland to hot water bottles in fluffy covers. Ideals for kinder and positive living in February. As someone wise said in the comments section it’s the little things.
1. Spring is on it’s way. Snowdrops bloom in February, across the UK snowdrop gardens open up to show off carpets of delicate white flowers. Find out where your nearest is here.
2.Valentines day. Love it or loathe it. Treat yourself to a cheery bunch of tulips. Who needs over priced roses? Apparently, yellow tulips are an “expression of cheerful thoughts”. Kind of wish I’d got bought yellow.
3. Turn off phone notifications. Go on try it. Everyone needs a break.
4. Make someone’s day: That thing when you stand in the supermarket queue and think some has nice shoes/hair/bag/outfit. Tell them!
5. Invite a neighbour in for a cupa.
6. Read some blogs to inspire you to live better (disclosure *may* include this blog)
7. Drink hot chocolate. February brings often brings snow and the cold demands hot chocolate (IMHO). My favourite is Green and Blacks, just add milk and microwave.
8. Find a new book to read. There are some great recommendations here
9. Inspired by the Women’s March. Itching to do something? Sign up here for actions.
10. Feeling Frazzled or stressed? Go see Ruby Wax on tour. She talks about mindfulness and managing stress. (I’m seeing her speak in Bristol)
11. Fancy some escapism. Go see Banff mountain film festival. Breath taking adventure from a comfy seat. Touring the UK. I really fancy seeing “Four Mums in a Boat”.
12. Half Term. Wrap up warm, take the kids and visit a National Trust Property. Most have events for half term.
13. Have a half term/February movie afternoon. Pop corn, chocolate biscuits, pjs and a film.
14. Hot water-bottles in fluffy covers. Under-rated essential for cold months.
15. Feed the birds, garden birds struggle with it gets cold.
16. Get into podcasts. Some great suggestions here. I’m a fan of Scummy Mummies, The Guilt Feminist (both very funny) and recently been listening to; ‘You made it weird with Pete Holmes’. I listen while walking and forget that I’m cold.
17. Window Wanderland comes to my community this month. Started to cheer up February, the idea is to decorate your windows and light them from behind. Then wander the streets marvelling at various the creations. It’s spreading to other places in the UK. Enjoy it vicariously via instagram hashtag #windowwanderland
Suggestions for making February a little better, always welcome.